Little Egypt's Dancing Season
A Look Back at 1998
Traditionally, as with a lot of Morris sides, our season begins on May 1st. At 4.30 a.m., we gather at Park Farm, overlooking the Glem valley and Stanstead Great Wood, to dance in the dawn. After dancing, we enjoy a traditional farmhouse breakfast, before heading off to our daily toils.
Last year, we were to take part in the Walton Folk Festival at Walton on the Naze, on April 11th, an event postponed on the occasion of Princess Diana's funeral in 1997.
The rest of our season followed a familiar, and crowded pattern
- Saturday 2 May - Rochester Sweeps Festival
- Saturday 16 May - Bury St Edmunds Festival
- Tuesday 19 May - 8.00 p.m. - "The Cock", Brent Eleigh
- Friday 29 May - 8.00 p.m. -An Evening with the Haverhill Harlots visiting Cavendish: "Five Bells" and "The Bull".
- Tuesday 2 June - 8.00 p.m. - A Visit to Bangs and Jukes Country - That's Nearly Norfolk
- Saturday 6 June - 7.00 p.m. - Acton Industrial Estate, Acton, Long Melford (Our taste for the exotic knows no bounds)
- Tuesday 9 June - 8.00 p.m. - With Lagabag at the Polstead "Cock"
- Sunday 14 June - "Lunch time" - Melford Country Fair, Long Melford Hall
Tuesday 16 June - 8.00 p.m. - out into the styx at Hawkedon, "Queen's Head" CANCELLED
- Saturday 20 June - All bloody day - Little Egypt's Tractor 'n' Trailer Day of Fun, (well it was going to be all day but the Midsummer UnCeilidh (not to be confused with the Horkey) has rather taken over.
- Saturday 27 June - All bloody day, again - Little Egypt head for the seaside - Southwold (Home of Adnam's Fine Ales)
- Tuesday 30 June - 8.00 p.m. - "The Plough", Hundon, probably with some people who know how to sing
- Tuesday 7 July - 8.00 p.m. -
Histon Beer Festival, Histon, Cambridgeshire - ABORTED
- Saturday 11 July - All Day - Ely Folk Festival
- Tuesday 21 July - 8.00 p.m. - "The Swan", Henny, with Mount Bures MM
- Wednesday 29 July - 8.00 pm.m - "The Crown", Hartest
and Hawkedon "Queen's", (Pub gone and been and closed) with Bury Fair
- Tuesday 4 August - 8.00 p.m. to be confirmed
- Tuesday 18 August - 8.00 p.m. - to be confirmed
- Monday 31 August - Lunchtime onwards - Mersea Regatta, Mersea Island
- Tuesday 8 September - 8.00 p.m. - "The Globe", Clare
- Saturday 12 September - 1.00 p.m. - Barking Power Station (now that's what I call a venue)
- Saturday 19 September - All Day - Manor Mill Morris Day of Dance - Cambridge and area
- Tuesday 22 September - 8.00 p.m. - To be confirmed
- Sunday 27 September - All Day -Little Egypt Go Off The Rails - Travel by steam, and private lines, too
- Sunday 4 October - Noon onwards - King's Head Beer Festival, Pebmarsh
- Saturday 10 October - All Day - Horkey and Come All Ye
- Monday 26 October - Sunday 1 November - Little Egypt went to Ireland
There was also our now-traditional session of dancing on Boxing Day, fortified by plenty of sausage rolls, mince pies, the occasional glass of beer and a tot or several of Schnapps, courtesy of our German friends.
Our 1999 Season
The Rest of the Morris
Page maintained by Steve Clarke, firstname.lastname@example.org. Copyright(c) july 30 1997. Created: 02/08/97 Updated: 31/03/99