In the dim and distant past, 1992 to be precise, a group of like-minded individuals, citizens of the fair village (and formerly town - according to the local government legislation of 1902) of Glemsford banded themselves together in a second attempt to form a Morris Dancing side, to entertain the patrons of the church fête. Thus started a tradition.
Every year since then we have celebrated the anniversary of our creation with a tour by decorated tractor and trailer to the neighbouring villages of Clare and Cavendish (except the year Peter forgot the tractor - but we don't talk about that).
So it was in 1999.
Leaving Park Farm in the bright sunshine of a warm June morning, we set off on the first leg of our annual odyssey accompanied by the rousing tones of Martin Barrett's melodeon and a bunch of Haverhill Harlots.
We travelled first to Clare, via Water Lane and the A1092, waving cheerily to the passing motorists. Those who followed us waved back: we think the gesture meant "That's twice we've seen you".
When we arrived in Clare
Both Little Egypt
With the good burghers left sated and gasping for more, we headed back to Cavendish where we danced at
Thence we made made our way back to Glemsford, and "The Angel", for more dancing and ale. And so to the church fête for our anniversary celebrations.
Saturday evening was taken up with an immensely successful Barn Dance and barbeque.
Of that, more details and photos can be found here
The Rest of the Morris