Glemsford: August 2004.
- A correspondent wrote:
it's all mostly quiet in Glemsford at the
- Alan and Hazel made it p*ss down a few weekends back
by deciding to hold a barbecue, well if you will
insist on burning your food outside of the comfort of
your own kitchen ...
- The 'Aunty Wainwright' syndrome has re-manifested itself in
the Angel with numerous punters reporting having spent
much more than they intended. In the words of one
member of the Plumb family "at least when Maureen was
here there was only one pair of hands behind the bar
waiting to take your money".
- But meanwhile,
- The Glemsford and District Cribbage league resumes 18 August. Andrew Plumb is going to play for the Angel, and apparently he is very good, so high hopes for this season.
- Robert Plumb was spotted swimming off Dunwich beach ... . He had been over to France for the day, but maybe he was trying to nip back for another case of Ruddles?
- The Angel Golf Day took place on 23 August at Gosfield. There were 24 people on the list, so it may turn into a Golf Week...
The day started off very wet, which didn't bode well. At 9 a.m., twenty-two of Glemsford's finest (including Patrick (né Porous) set off for Gosfield Park with the promise of bacon rolls and a day of fun and japes.
Oh, and some golf, too.
(Editor's note: I only type up this stuff.
"Golf" and "Fun"? Surely the ultimate oxymoron)
The rain held off until 4.15 p.m., and the company returned to the pub to get wet on the inside.
- The Angel will be holding a Pub Olympics Day. Games will commence at 4 p.m at the Angel
on Saturday 28 August, with a Barbeque, and music from Jeff Slater at 9 p.m..
- We had quite a bit of sunshine over the weekend of 21/22 August, which was especially nice
for the Christening of the LeStrange sisters at St Mary's on Sunday.
looked very pretty in their white dresses with matching boleros that
Paula's mum had made. Freya not only slept during the entire service, but
amused all in the front row by snoring, too!
- Ken has had his cottage painted (by Dave Hill). Dave thinks it looks nice
and says Ken chose the colour. We haven't seen him for a while, so he may be
- Sunday, 15 August, saw an Open Day in the gardens of Coldhams House, Tye Green, from 2.00 p.m. - 5.00 p.m., in aid of St. Mary's Church.
- Greyhound Cottage has a new wall, which looks very nice. However, it extends
to the front of the Tin Tab, and the TT has now been timber-clad at the
front, which doesn't look right, somehow.